Arthur L. Mann Memorial Library
(West Paris Public Library)
To insure all persons may have considerate use of the Library, appropriate behavior is expected. The use of the Library or its services will be denied for due cause. Inappropriate behaviors will result in a warning and/or cancellation of privileges to borrow materials or use materials in house. Inappropriate behaviors will also result in expulsion from the property for periods of time to be determined by staff: 1st offence---one week, 2nd offence--- one month, 3rd offence---up to 1 year. Whenever necessary, police will be contacted. Director and supervisory staff have authority to carry out all powers of this policy.
The following behaviors are inappropriate:
1. Loud talking or boisterous behavior (running, excessive seat changing, etc.).
2. Consumption of food or drink (except with prior approval of supervisory staff).
4. Destruction or mutilation of library property.
5. Parking or using skateboards, bicycles or other vehicles on sidewalks or in a manner that blocks or hinders entry to the library.
6. Conduct on library premises, which is disruptive to the operation of the library or threatening to patrons, staff, or library property.
7. Use of cell phones inside the building for anything other than silent web
browsing. Ringtones should be turned off. Conversations should be taken outside.
8. Photographing individuals or interior library premises unless authorized by those
individuals and/or library staff.
9. Failure to return items borrowed or pay replacement costs.
10. Any other behavior determined inappropriate or disruptive by supervisory staff.
When a person’s patron registration or use of the library or its services is canceled by reason of violation of any rules or regulations, no new registration or use shall be granted to that person except under terms and conditions ordered by the Trustees.
APPEAL: If a person believes they have been wrongfully denied library privileges, they are entitled to a hearing before the Trustees, at its next scheduled meeting, to regain privileges. The Secretary will send a letter to the appellant within two weeks of Trustees’ decision, explaining their determination.
Adopted by the Library Board of Trustees on January 10th, 2017
Amended by the Library Board of Trustees on August 8th, 2017